WARNING This site uses cookies. When browsing the site you are consenting to its use. Learn more about the use of cookies.

Alternative Dispute Resolution

The European Union has created a consumer support website so that they can submit their complaints about any dispute in which they are involved. In this way, we provide all the information so that you can exercise your right to complain to an official, third-party and impartial entity to the process in question, called “Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution Entity”.

What is Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution and what are Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution Entities?

The Alternative Dispute Resolution covers mediation, conciliation and arbitration of consumer disputes in Portugal. The RAL entities are the entities authorized to carry out mediation, conciliation and arbitration that must be included in the list of RAL entities provided for by Law No. 144/2015. They are independent entities, with specialized personnel, who, impartially, on the one hand, help the consumer and the company to reach an amicable solution through mediation or conciliation or, on the other hand, if this agreement is not reached, allow a decision to be taken by arbitrators in a simple and quick process, through arbitration.

When can I resort to out-of-court dispute resolution through an ADR entity?

In the face of a problem with a supplier of goods or services, and in the event that they cannot reach an agreement, the consumer can initiate proceedings against the supplier with an ADR entity, provided that:

- They are initiated by a consumer against a supplier of goods or service provider;
- Respect contractual obligations resulting from contracts of purchase and sale or provision of services;
- The contract is concluded between a supplier of goods or service provider and consumers established and resident, respectively, in Portugal and in the European Union.

Which Alternative Consumer Dispute Resolution entity can you turn to because of a dispute?

CNIACC – National Center for Information and Arbitration of Consumer Conflicts

For more information on the Consumer Portal: